- Library Services
- » Opening Hours
- » Borrowing from the Library
- » APA Referencing Guide
- » Disability Support
- » Copyright advice and guidance
- » How Do I Find Information for My Studies?
- » IT Facilities in the Library
- » Information for Staff and Researchers
- » Contact Us
- » Site Map
- » Library Policies and Standards
How Do I Find Information for My Studies?
The majority of the Library's resources are searchable in Summon, the library's search engine. Summon is available wherever you are, whether on- or off-campus.
Help guides and resources
- The Basics: our online guide to using the library and IT services
- Guide to using Summon (PDF)
- Video guides to Summon (YouTube playlist)
- Guide to using the library's eBooks
- subject-specific databases and other resources: Subject Guides
- all library databases: A-Z list of Electronic Resources
- historical and primary source materials (e.g. manuscripts, photographs, pamphlets, etc.) available from Heritage Quay
- APA referencing guide
- Information for staff and researchers
- Suggest a book
Can't find it?
If you need something (e.g. a book or journal article) that you can't find in Summon or the library's databases, we can usually find a copy for you from another library. This is called Inter-Library Loans, please see this webpage for further information and to make a request.
Exam papers and dissertations
The library does not hold previous exam papers for any subject. If any are available for your subject, your lecturer will have made these available in your module area on UniLearn. If you cannot find them, ask your lecturer for help.
Dissertations and theses (mainly PhD level) from the University of Huddersfield and other institutions are available online via Summon. Use the "Dissertation/Thesis" filter under "Content type" to find these. The British Library also provides access to some UK doctoral theses online.
Please note: many theses are available free of charge from the British Library, but some require payment of £40 if they have not already been digitised. If you are asked for payment on the British Library's thesis site, do not place the order. Instead, request it from us via Inter-Library Loans – we will place the request on your behalf, and pay the digitisation cost, charging you only a service charge of £4.
Undergraduate dissertations are not available in the library. If you want to see examples of dissertations from your course, previous year's dissertations are sometimes kept in the relevant Schools/departments. Ask at your School's support office for where to find these.