Information for Staff and Researchers

University of Huddersfield

Information for Staff and Researchers

The Library is here to support all staff and researchers. Please see below for details of the support we offer, or contact us on for further details.

Subject Librarians

Each School has an Academic Librarian and a team of Subject Librarians. The Librarians can support you with your teaching and research, including training for students, reading lists, and in-depth subject enquiries. Subject-specific library guides are also available to help you find specialist resources in your research area.

Information skills and research support

We offer a wide range of information skills training for taught students, from basic induction to advanced information searching. We are happy to come into your classes for short "refresher" sessions with your students, or to arrange longer, timetabled sessions where needed.

We can offer specialist support for researchers. We run regular training for postgraduate researchers on topics including open access, research data management, citations and bibliometrics. These courses are advertised on SkillsForge.

Please email to contact any of the librarians.


The Library offers training for staff through the Staff Development Unit. Courses include using EndNote, open access, citations and bibliometrics, and an introduction to research data management.

For PhD students we run a programme of sessions called the Informed Researcher which is managed by the Graduate School. This covers topics including literature searching, Endnote, open access, using social media, and referencing. You can view and book onto these courses via SkillsForge.

Please also see our advice on improving your research impact and citation rate.

Open Access

Open access publishing makes information freely available to the end user in an online form. It normally has fewer licence and copyright restrictions than in some traditional forms of publishing. Please see our Open Access guide for more information about different types of open access and what this means for your research.

The University of Huddersfield Open Access Policy, requires all peer-reviewed articles and conference papers to be uploaded to the Research Portal (Pure). For information and guidance on Pure, please see the Research Support webpage. Authors must upload their final author manuscript within 3 months of acceptance for publication. The Repository team will check for compliance with embargo periods and what version each journal allows. This policy comes into effect for articles published after 1st May 2015 and ensures we are compliant with the rules for the next REF. HEFCE have announced that articles that don't meet these criteria will be given a zero score in the next REF.

Articles and conference papers that are published as a result of RCUK funding (eg, EPSRC, ESRC, AHRC etc) should be published as gold open access. Any funding needed will come from a central fund managed by CLS. Contact for more information on the process and the licence conditions you need to assign during the publication process.

There may be occasions when papers would either benefit from gold open access, or are being published in gold open access journals that charge a fee. If these do not arise out of RCUK funding then Schools will decide whether to fund this. Each case will be judged against agreed criteria and with a named contact in the School who will make the decision. The actual payment will be managed by CLS, as we are part of some large discounts schemes on article processing charges.

Other types of output, e.g. books, are not required to be open access. However we may be able to claim credit in the environment sections of the next REF for any books published open access.

Can't find it?

If you need a book or journal article that you can't find in Summon or the library's databases, we can usually find a copy for you from another library. This is called Inter-Library Loans, please see this webpage for further information and to make a request.


MyReading is the University of Huddersfield's bespoke reading list management system. To find out more about MyReading and get started, see our training materials on the iPark.

For information on why/how you should be using MyReading plus tips on how you can make your reading lists more appealing to students, consult our MyReading leaflet (pdf).

Library Resource Suggestions

The library welcomes suggestions of new books or other resources to purchase. We will consider these with reference to our collection development policy. You can read this policy on our Library Policies and Standards page.

If you would like to suggest a book for purchase please contact

If you would like to suggest a database or journal please fill in the resources request form. Please return it to us at .

The University of Huddersfield Press

The University of Huddersfield Press is a successful publisher of books and journals. Their full range can be seen at the Press website. If you are looking for an outlet to publish your research, the Press welcomes ideas for new books and journals. Please contact them for more information.

Heritage Quay

Heritage Quay is the University's Archive, available to all students, staff and researchers. Archive themes including Art and Design, Education, Music, Nursing, Politics, Sport and Theatre.

The archives catalogue can be searched online. Archivists are available to talk about using the archives in research, and methods of discovering materials. The team can be contacted on .

Research Data Management

A sub-group of the University Research council manages the policies and processes needed to support Research Data Management at the University.

See the Research Data Management Policy for more information.

web page URL: /pages/staffandresearchers/
last updated: Fri 07/Jul/2017 at 1:33pm