APA Referencing Guide — Images, illustrations and photographs
llustrations, images and photographs referencing guide (PDF download).
- If artist or photographer is unknown, start your reference with the image title.
- If you are unable to find the year of publication use n.d. (no date).
- When the author and publisher/ website are the same name, do not include the publisher/ website name in the reference list.
- All images should be written as numbered figures so you can refer to them in your work.
- Refer to your image by their figure number not their location in the text, e.g. see Figure 2 rather than see Figure 2 below/ above/ adjacent.
- They should all have a descriptive title, and the citation should refer to the original source (e.g. book, website, journal).
- The original source is included in the reference list.
Choose the most relevant link below: