- Guillaume, de Machaut, ca. 1300-1377 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Music -- France -- Reims -- 500-1400.
- Composers -- France
- Music -- France -- 14th century -- History and citicism
- Motets -- France -- 500-1400 -- History and criticism.
- Cambridge University Press,
- 0521036089 (pbk.) :
- 9780521036085 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Originally published: 2002.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of figures; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations and conventions; Prologue: context and meaning in Guillaume de Machaut's musical works; Part I. Reims and its Music: Cathedral, City, Archdiocese: 1. Guillaume de Machaut in Reims; 2. Canonical affirmation and resistance in Machaut's motets 18 and 19; Part II. Turned-About Love Songs: 3. Machaut's motets 1-17 and the medieval mystical tradition; 4. The beginning of love's journey; 5. The middle of love's journey: the struggle with sin; 6. The end of love's journey: union with the beloved; Part III. Music of War, Kingship and Final Things: 7. Machaut's late motets and the Hundred Years War in Reims; 8. Machaut's David Hocket and the coronation of Charles V (1364); 9. Machaut's Mass of Our Lady and composer remembrance through music; Epilogue: context, meaning and artistry in Machaut's music; Appendix A: documents; Appendix B: texts and translations of Machaut's motets; Appendix C: manuscripts consulted for the musical examples; Notes; Bibliography; Index of works by Machaut; Index of manuscripts; General index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue