- Political culture -- United States
- United States -- Politics and government.
- 1405188421 (pbk.) :
- 9781405188425 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Previous ed.: Malden, Mass.: Blackwell, 2005.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- List of Plates. List of Figures. List of Tables. Preface to the Seventh Edition. 1 Government and the People in a Polarized Society. The Chapters to Come. 2 Beliefs, Values and American Society. The Nature of American Beliefs and Values. Values and American Society. Social Structure. 3 Constitutional Government. Origins. The American Constitution. Ratification. The Adaptive Constitution. Assessing the Constitution. 4 Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations. Federalism in Theory and Practice. The Evolution of American Federalism. The Changing Federal Role. A Changing Court Role? The Future of American Federalism. 5 American Political Parties in Transition. The Functions of Parties. Crisis and Change in the American Party System. The Decline and Rise of Political Parties. Changing Party Ideology: 1970-2010. Explaining Party Change. Political Parties Redux. 6 Elections and Political Participation. Patterns of American Electoral Behaviour. The 'American Voter' Model and the New Deal Coalition. The Decline of the New Deal Coalition and the Rise of a Divided Electorate. Non-Electoral Political Participation. 7 The Media and American Politics. Media Structure and Organization. Organization and Ownership. How Biased? The Media and the Political Agenda. Controlling the Media. The Media and American Democracy. 8 Congress I: The People's Branch? Representation and Congress. Congressional Elections. Legislators as Rational Actors. The Work of Member of Congress. Conclusions. 9 Congress II: Functions and Powers - The Broken Branch? The Functions of Congress. The Structure of Power in Congress. Congress Under Fire. Reform and Change in Congress. Is Congress the Broken 'Branch'? 10 The Presidency I: Powers and Selection. Formal Sources of Power. Informal Powers. Presidential Selection. Presidential Selection: Faults and Foibles. 11 The Presidency II: The President as Chief Executive. The Presidency in a Changing America. Presidential Abuse of Power and the Congressional Response. Presidential Resources. Assessing the Presidency: Presidential Power at Home and Abroad. 12 Bureaucratic Power: Federal Departments and Agencies. The Federal Bureaucracy: Organization and Function. The Bureaucracy: How Uncontrollable? The Inherent Power of Bureaucracy. The Bureaucratic Hydra: A Uniquely American Phenomenon? Reform Attempts. Concluding Remarks. 13 The Security State. The Rise of the Security State. 9/11, the Patriot Act, and the Department of Homeland Security. Threats to Civil Liberties. The Security State and American Values. 14 Organized Interests: The Real Power? Interests, Groups and Lobbyists. Economic Groups. Professional Groups. Promotional Groups. Political Action Committees. The Washington Lobby. Interest Groups: For and Against. 15 The Supreme Court and Judicial Politics. The American Legal System. The Supreme Court: Decision-Making. The Supreme Court and Political Power. The Polarized and Activist Rehnquist and Roberts Courts. Conclusions: The Court and American Democracy. 16 Regulating Morality: Civil Rights, Liberties and the Conscience Issues. Introduction. Regulating Public Morality. Civil Liberties. Equality and Civil Rights. Conclusions. 17 Social Policy in America: Self-Reliance and State Dependence. The Federal Government and Social Welfare in America: The Reluctant Provider. Federalism. Social Security, Medicare and the Electoral Connection. The Continuing Importance of Self-Reliance. Health-Care Reforms. The Federal Government and Education. Conclusions. 18 Managing Economic Change. State and Economy in the United States. Ideology and Economic Policy. Institutions and Economic Policy. Conclusions: Economic Policy in an Age of Uncertainty. 19 Environmental Politics. Background. The Emerging Environmental A
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue