- Murphy, Robert, 1947-
- British Film Institute.
- Motion pictures -- Great Britain -- History
- 1844572757 (pbk.) :
- 9781844572755 (pbk.) :
- 1844572765 (hbk.) :
- 9781844572762 (hbk.) :
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Previous ed.: London: BFI, 2001.
- "A BFI book published by Palgrave Macmillan."
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgments; Notes on Contributors; Introduction; PART I: DEBATES AND CONTROVERSIES; The British Cinema: The Known Cinema?; A. Lovell; British Cinema as National Cinema: Production, Audience and Representation; J. Hill; They Think It's All Over: British Cinema's US Surrender, A View from 2001; N. James; Paradise Found and Lost: The Course of British Realism; G. Brown; Lindsay Anderson and the Development of British Art Cinema; E. Hedling; The Wrong Sort of Cinema: Refashioning the Heritage Film Debate; S. Hall; British Cult Cinema; J. Smith; PART II: INDUSTRY, GENRE, REPRESENTATION; British Film Censorship; J. Richards & J. Robertson; Exhibition and the Cinema-going Experience; A. Eyles; Action, Spectacle and the Boy's Own Tradition in British Cinema; J. Chapman; Traditions of the British Horror Film; I. Conrich; Traditions of British Comedy; R. Dacre; British Cinema and Black Representation; J. Pines; Exiles and British Cinema; K. Gough-Yates; Where Are Those Buggers?: Aspects of Homosexuality in Mainstream British Cinema; S. Bruzzi; PART III: BRITISH CINEMA 1895-1939; Before Blackmail: Silent British Cinema; C. Barr; Big Studio Production in the Pre-Quota Years, J. Burrows; Late Silent Britain; C. Gledhill; The British Documentary Film Movement; I. Aitken; British Film and the National Interest, 1927-39; S. Street; A Despicable Tradition? Quota-quickies in the 1930s; L. Napper; A British Studio System: The Associated British Picture Corporation and the Gaumont-British Picture Corporation in the 1930s; T. Ryall; Low-budget British Films in the 1930s; L. Wood; PART IV: BRITISH CINEMA FROM THE SECOND WORLD WAR TO THE 70S; The Heart of Britain: British Cinema at War; R. Murphy; Melodrama and Femininity in Second World War British Cinema; M. Landy; No Place Like Home: Powell, Pressburger Utopia; A. Moor; Some Lines of Inquiry into Post-war British Crimes; R. Durgnat; A Song and Dance at the Local: Thoughts on Ealing; T. Pulleine; Methodism versus the Market-place: The Rank Organisation and British Cinema; V. Porter; Bonnie Prince Charlie Revisited: British Costume Film in the 1950s; S. Harper; 'Twilight women' of 1950s British Cinema; M. Williams; Male Stars, Masculinity and British Cinema, 1945-60; A. Spicer; Beyond the New Wave: Realism in British Cinema, 1959-63; P. Hutchings; Women and 60s British Cinema: The Development of the 'Darling' Girl; C. Geraghty; Strange Days: British Cinema in the Late 1960s; Robert Murphy; 'Tutte e marchio!': Excess, Masquerade and Performativity in 70s Cinema; P. Church Gibson & A. Hill; PART V: CONTEMPORARY BRITISH CINEMA; New Romanticism' and the British Avant-Garde Film in the Early 80s; M. O'Pray; Internal Decolonisation? British Cinema in the Celtic Fringe; M. McLoone; Citylife: Urban Fairy-tales in Late 90s British Cinema; R. Murphy; The More Things Change... British Cinema in the 90s; B. McFarlane; Travels in Ladland: The British Gangster Film Cycle, 1998-2001; S. Chibnall; Asian British Cinema since the 1990s; B. Korte & C. Sternberg; Bright Hopes, Dark Dreams: A Guide to New British Cinema; R. Murphy; Not Flagwaving But Flagdrowning, or Postcards from Post-Britain; W. Brown; Postscript: A Short History of British Cinema; R. Murphy; Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue