- National characteristics, British -- History -- 20th century
- Group identity -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Public opinion -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century
- Social surveys -- Great Britain -- History -- 20th century.
- Great Britain -- Race relations -- History -- 20th century.
- Great Britain -- Relations -- Europe
- Europe -- Relations -- Great Britain.
- Studies in European cultural transition
- 0754602060 :
- 9780754602064 :
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 261-275) and index.
- Preface; Part 1 Contexts: Introduction: mass-observation, difference and the 'anthropology of ourselves'; Mass-observation, 'race' and nation. Part 2 Praxis - From Fieldwork to Directive: Exploring otherness: mass-observation in 'darkest' Britain; Beyond the opinion poll? The mass-observation directive. Part 3 Of Ourselves, By Ourselves: The Mass-Observation Diaries: Mass-observation and the genre of diary writing; Racism with the boots off? From Individual prejudice to collective violence in the mass-observation diaries; 'I am all women who are tortured': persecuted Jews at home and abroad and the mass-observation diaries; The intimacy of difference: confronting minorities in everyday life through the mass-observation diaries. Conclusion and Afterword: reclaiming the Volvox; Bibliography; Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue