- Ponterotto, Joseph G.
- Utsey, Shawn O.
- Pedersen, Paul, 1936-
- Prejudices -- United States
- Prejudices in children -- United States
- Cross-cultural counseling -- United States.
- Multicultural aspects of counseling series ; 2
- 0761928189 (pbk.)
- 9780761928188 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 301-329) and indexes.
- Foreword by James M. Jones Preface Acknowledgments Part I. Prejudice and Racism: Prevalence and Consequences 1. Understanding Prejudice and Racism The Problem of Hate Purpose and Focus of This Book Some Important Definitions Understanding Prejudice Understanding Racism Chapter Summary 2. Some Historical Background on the Origins and Evolution of Racial Prejudice Prehistoric Roots of Racial Prejudice Origins of Modern Racial Prejudice Evolution of Racial Prejudice Implications for Prejudice Reduction Chapter Summary 3. Causes and Consequences of Racial Prejudice Racism and White Americans Racism and the Black Experience Chapter Summary Part II. Racial, Biracial, Multiracial, and Lesbian and Gay Identity Development and the Multicultural Personality 4. Person of Color (Minority) Identity Development, Mental Health, and Prejudice Erikson's and Marcia's Models of Identity Development Hardiman's Stages of Social Identity Development General Models of Minority Identity Development Race- and Ethnicity-Specific Models of Minority Identity Development Integration of Identity Models and Relationship to Mental Health and Prejudice Summary of Research Correlates of Identity Stages 5. European American (White) Racial Identity Development, Mental Health, and Prejudice Hardiman's White Identity Development Model Helms' White Racial Identity Model Ponterotto's White Racial Consciousness Development Model Rowe, Bennett, and Atkinson's White Racial Consciousness Model Integrative Models of White Racial Identity Why Is White Racial Identity Development Important? What Does the Research Say? 6. Biracial, Multiracial, and Gay or Lesbian Identity Development Biracial and Multiracial Identity Development Models of Biracial and Multiracial Identity Development Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Identity Development Chapter Summary 7. Multicultural Personality Development What Is the Multicultural Personality? How Does the Multicultural Personality Relate to Broader Models of Personality? Chapter Summary Part III. Proactive Roles in Reducing Prejudice 8. Counselor Roles in Prejudice Reduction and Race Relations Traditional Roles of the Counselor Counselor Skills and Prejudice Prevention Work Counselor Roles in Working With Prejudice Chapter Summary 9. Teacher Roles in Prejudice Reduction Teacher- and Student-Centered Strategies for Reducing Prejudice Using Curricula and Instructional Techniques to Reduce Prejudice Chapter Summary 10. Parent Roles in Prejudice Reduction Children and Prejudice Early Formation of Racial Attitudes and Preferences How Do Parents, Peers, and Personality Influence Prejudice Levels in Children? What Parents Can Do to Promote Tolerance in Their Children Chapter Summary Part IV. Practical Exercises for Multicultural Awareness and Prejudice Reduction An Orientation to Practical Exercises for Multicultural Awareness and Prejudice Reduction 11. Race Relations in Elementary and Middle Schools Exercise 1: The Label Game Exercise 2: Patterns of Difference Exercise 3: Symbols of Our Culture Exercise 4: One Situation But Many Interpretations Chapter Summary 12. Race Relations in High School Exercise 5: Being Normal and Being Abnormal Exercise 6: Stereotypes Exercise 7: Personal Culture History Exercise 8: Predicting the Decision of a Resource Person From the Community Chapter Summary 13. Race Relations on the College Campus Exercise 9: A Classroom Debate Exercise 10: Analysis of a Newspaper Article Through Role Playing Exercise 11: Designing a Multiethinic Simulation Exercise 12: Lump Sum Chapter Summary 14. Race Relations in the Community Exercise 13: Critical Incidents Exercise 14: The Intrapersonal Cultural Grid Exercise 15: The Interpersonal Cultural Grid Exercise 16: Outside "Experts" Chapter Summary Part V. Instruments and Resources
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue