- Probation -- Great Britain -- History.
- Police supervision -- Great Britain -- History.
- Welfare and society : studies in welfare policy, practice and theory
- 0754671747 (pbk.) :
- 9780754671749 (pbk.) :
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Originally published: 2004.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 177-194) and index.
- The origins of the probation service: the orthodox accounts; The 'crusade' begins: the origins of the probation service revisited; Early practice: redemption, pledges and terrible warnings; From awakening the conscience to providing insight; Folk theories, practice and the heyday of treatment; The emergence of doubt: the non-treatment paradigm and alternative therapy; The rise to dominance of evidence-based practice; Conclusion: back to where we started; Appendices; Bibliography; Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue