- Kidd, Alan J
- Nicholls, David, 1948-
- Middle class -- Great Britain -- History
- Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 18th century
- Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 19th century
- Great Britain -- Social conditions -- 20th century
- Sutton modern British history ; 4
- 0750917806 :
- 9780750917803 :
- 0750917814 (pbk.)
- 9780750917810 (pbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Originally published: 1998.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 297-306) and index.
- Praising the middling sort? - social identity in 18th-century British newspapers, Bob Harris; not sprung from princes - middling society in 18th-century West Yorkshire, Stephen Caunce; who was master? - class relationships in 19th-century Sheffield, Ruth Grayson; second metropolis - the middle class in early Victorian Liverpool, John Belchem and Nick Hardy; "a republic of Quakers" - the radical bourgeousie, the state and stability in Lancashire, 1789-1851, Brian Lewis; owners and occupiers - property, politics and middle-class formation in early industrial Lancashire, Michael Winstanley; reading the will - cash economy capitalists and urban peasants in the 1830s; R.J. Morris; the platform and the pulpit - cultural networks and civic identities in industrial towns, c.1850-70, Robert Gray; craft, professional and middle-class identity, solicitors and gas engineers, c. 1850-1914, John Garrard and Vivienne Parrott; from personal patronage to public school privilege - social closure in the recruitment of managers in the United Kingdom from the late 19th century to 1930, John M. Quail; Britain's elites in the interwar period, 1918-39, W.D. Rubinstein; neither metropolitan nor provincial - the interwar middle class, Richard Trainor; service, loyalty and leadership - the life tales of British coal masters and the culture of the middle class, c. 18901-1950, Michael Dintenfass; snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, the last post of the old city financial elite, 1945-95, Paul Thompson.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue