- Psychologically abused children -- Mental health
- Child psychotherapy
- 0470011009 (hbk.) :
- 9780470011003 (hbk.)
- 0470011017 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 9780470011010 (pbk. : alk. paper)
- 0470011025 (e-book)
- 9780470011027 (e-book)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Previous ed.: 1995.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- About the Author. Preface. Acknowledgements. SECTION 1: The Problem. 1. Introduction to Emotional Abuse and Neglect. Introduction. History of the Concept. Early Studies. The Concept of Emotional Abuse. Case Studies. Consequences of Emotional Abuse. Purpose and Overview of the Book. Terminology. The Organisation of the Book. Summary. 2. Definition, Prevalence, and Characteristics of Emotionally Abused Children and their Carers. Introduction. Definition. Defining Characteristics. Definition and Typology of Emotionally Abusive Behaviour. Emotionally Abusive Parenting. Problem Profile of Emotionally Abused and Neglected Children. Rejected Children. Consequences of Emotionally Harmful Parenting Messages from Research and Practice. Identification and Incidence. Summary. 3. Emotional Abuse and Neglect Within the Family. Introduction. Family Violence. Case Study. Parental Divorce/Separation. Post Divorce Parental Conflict and the Effect on Children. Contact Dispute Case. Parental Substance Misuse. Summary. 4. Emotional Abuse and Neglect Outside the Family. Introduction. School Bullying: Peer Abuse. A Case of Bullying. Emotional Abuse/Neglect by Teachers. The Extent and Nature of Child Emotional Abuse/Neglect by Teachers. Verbal Attacks and Humiliating Behaviours. Rejecting and Isolating. Emotional Abuse and Neglect in Out of Home Care. Children and Young People in Custody. Summary. 5. Attachment and Bonding in Cases of Emotional Abuse. Introduction. What is Attachment? The Origins of Attachment Theory. Parental Sensitivity and Formation of Attachment. Individual Differences: The Strange Situation. Child to Parent Attachment and Emotional Abuse. Parent to Infant Attachment (Bonding). Significance of the Parent Child Attachment. Adult Attachment Styles. Mothers who Promote Secure Attachment Behaviour in their Children. Dismissing and Rejecting Mothers. Consequences of Insecure Attachment. Summary. 6. Emotional Abuse and Neglect: Effects on the Growing Child. Introduction. Infancy. Attachment Behaviour. Early Childhood. Middle Childhood. Adolescence. Summary. 7. Failure to Thrive and Emotional Stunting in Growth. Introduction. What is Failure to Thrive? Emotional Stunting in Growth. Case Study. Causal Mechanisms. Hyperphagic and Anorexic Short Stature Children. Growth Hormone Deficiencies. Manifestation of Disturbed Behaviour. Twenty Year Follow Up Study. Other Findings. Summary. 8. Children with Disability at Risk of Emotional Abuse and Neglect. Introduction. Incidence and Prevalence Rates. Risk Factors. Case Study. Practice Issues. Summary. 9. Risks and Resilience in Cases of Emotional Abuse. Introduction. Risk and Resilience Factors for Emotional Maltreatment. Case Studies. Case Discussion. Predisposing Factors. Precipitating Factors. Factors Intrinsic to the Child. Environmental Factors. Comments on Risk and Resilience. Early Adversities and Recovery. Summary. SECTION 2: Assessment of Emotional Abuse and Neglect. 10. Assessment of Emotional Abuse and Neglect. Introduction. Department of Health Framework of Assessment. Parenting Duties and Problems. Assessment of Basic Care. Parental Characteristics. Ensuring Safety. Emotional Warmth. Parent Child Interaction. Rating Criteria. Stimulation. Guidance and Boundaries. Stability. Children's Developmental Needs. Interview with the Child. Observation of Children. Summary. SECTION 3: Treatment and Intervention of Emotional Abuse and Neglect. 11. Levels of Intervention and Service Provision in Cases of Emotional Abuse and Neglect. Introduction. Levels of Prevention and Intervention. Universal Prevention/Intervention. Selective Prevention/Intervention. Family Support. Targeted Prevention/Intervention Multidisciplinary Approach. Case Conferences. Multidisciplinary Inter Agency Co operation and Service Delivery. Case Study. Civil Court Intervention. Summary. 12. B
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue