- Language arts (Preschool) -- United States.
- Reading (Preschool) -- United States.
- Children -- Books and reading -- United States.
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Morrow Contents Foreword xi Preface xiii Acknowledgments xvii Introduction 1 CHAPTER 1 Foundations of Early Literacy Development: Surveying the Past to the Present 13 Learning Theories, Research, and Philosophies That Have Shaped Practices 16 Balanced Literacy Instruction 28 An Idea from the Classroom: Preschoolers Go Restaurant Hopping (Constructivist Theory) 36 An Idea from the Classroom: Learning the Initial Consonant P (Explicit Instruction) 37 Activities and Questions 39 CHAPTER 2 Assessment in Early Literacy: A Guide for Designing Instruction 41 Theory and Research on Assessing Early Literacy Development 43 Portfolio Assessment 51 Standardized Tests 53 Standards and Standardized Tests for Reading and Writing 56 Stages of Child Development 60 An Idea from the Classroom: Reviewing What Was Learned Today 65 An Idea from the Classroom: You Write, I Write: Using Interactive Writing as a Means of Authentic Assessment 66 Activities and Questions 67 CHAPTER 3 Literacy and Diversity: Meeting Needs of Children with Special Concerns 69 Theory and Research about Literacy and Diversity: Addressing Children's Individual Needs 70 Addressing the Literacy Needs of a Diverse Multicultural Society 71 Cultural Diversity 72 Gifted Children, Learning Disability, and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder 82 Students Who Are at Risk 83 Multiple Intelligences and Literacy Development 84 Children with Physical Impairments 84 Intervention and Differentiation of Instruction 87 Put Yourself in the Place of the Child 91 An Idea from the Classroom: Where in the World Are You From? 93 An Idea from the Classroom: A Multicultural Bakery in the Dramatic-Play Area 94 Activities and Questions 94 CHAPTER 4 Language and Vocabulary Development 97 Language Development and Reading 99 Theory and Research on How Children Acquire Language 100 Halliday's Theory of Language Development 103 Brain Development and Language and Literacy Development from Birth to Age 3 104 Stages in Language Development 105 Helping English Language Learners in Your Classroom 109 Strategies for Language Development 110 Formats for Promoting Language and Vocabulary Development in the Classroom 125 Assessment of Children's Language Development 127 An Idea from the Classroom: Using Props for Oral Language Development 131 Activities and Questions 132 CHAPTER 5 Strategies to Figure Out Words: Phonological Awareness, Phonemic Awareness, and Phonics 135 Theory and Research Concerning the Acquisition of Literacy by Figuring Out Words 136 Psycholinguistic Cueing Systems 138 Standards, Skills, and Objectives for Word Study 140 Teaching Strategies for Figuring Out Words 141 Reading Readiness Activities 142 Phonological Awareness and Phonemic Awareness 157 Learning about the Alphabet 161 Strategies for Teaching Phonics 163 Oral Reading to Check Word Study Knowledge 173 Published Materials for Literacy Instruction 174 Assessing Knowledge of Word Study Skills 177 When Do I Teach Word Study in the School Day? How Much Time Do I Spend Teaching Word Study? How Do I Differentiate Instruction to Meet All Achievement Levels? 181 An Idea from the Classroom: Ideas Using Alphabet Books 181 An Idea from the Classroom: My Very Own Alphabet Book 182 Activities and Questions 184 CHAPTER 6 Developing Comprehension of Text and Concepts about Books 187 Concepts about Books 189 Activities That Develop Concepts about Books 189 Theory and Research on Comprehension of Text 191 How Comprehension Strategies Are Taught 195 Comprehension Strategies 196 Assessment of Concepts about Books and Comprehension of Text 225 When Do I Teach Comprehension in the School Day? How Much Time Do I Spend Teaching Comprehension? How Do I Differentiate Instruction to Meet All Achievement Levels? 225 An Idea from the Classroom: Visualizing 228 An Idea from the Classroom: Graphic Organizers 228 Activities and Questions 229 CHAPTER 7 Writing, Spelli
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue