- McGrath, Alister E., 1953-
- McGrath, Alister E., 1953-
- 1405108991 (pbk.) :
- 9781405108997 (pbk.)
- 1405109017 (hbk.) :
- 9781405109017 (hbk.)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Previous ed.: published as An introduction to Christianity. 1997.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 353-360) and index.
- Introduction Encountering Christianity: Some Gateways Texts Services Buildings Music Art Poetry 1. Jesus of Nazareth The centrality of Jesus to the Christian faith The gospels and Jesus Jesus and Roman historians Jesus and Israel Jesus and Jewish Groups The Birth of Jesus The Beginning of the Public Ministry of Jesus Jesus and Women The Teaching of Jesus: The Parables of the Kingdom The Crucifixion The Resurrection Events and Meanings The New Testament Understandings of Jesus Messiah Lord Saviour Son of Man Son of God God 2. Introducing the Bible The Bible: The Origin of the Term The Continuity between Old and New Testaments The Contents of the Bible The Translation of the Bible The Interpretation of the Bible The Devotional Reading of the Bible: Christian Spirituality 3. The Old Testament The Shape of the Old Testament The Contents of the Old Testament The Five Books of the Law The Historical Books The Writings The Prophets Major Themes of the Old Testament The Creation Abraham: Calling and Covenant The Exodus from Egypt and Giving of the Law The Entry into the Promised Land The Establishment of the Monarchy The Priesthood Prophecy The Exile The Restoration 4. The New Testament The Gospels The period of oral tradition Matthew Mark Luke John The Synoptic Problem Acts The Letters The Letters of Paul The Letters of Peter The Letters of John Other Letters The Book of Revelation 5. The background to Christian belief What is faith? Proofs of God's existence? The sources of Christian beliefs The Bible Tradition Creeds Reason The 'Handmaid': dialogue between theology and culture What is theology? 6. A Brief Outline of Core Christian Beliefs God God as father A personal God God as almighty The Trinity Creation Models of creation Implications of the Doctrine of Creation Models of God as Creator Creation and natural theology Humanity Humanity and the 'image of God' Humanity, the fall, and sin Jesus Islamic approaches to the identity of Jesus Early Christian approaches to Christology The concept of the incarnation Jesus as mediator Salvation Christ the Victor: The defeat of death and sin Christ the Harrower of Hell: Atonement and restoration Christ the Redeemer: Atonement as satisfaction Christ the Lover: Atonement and the enkindling of love Grace The Church The unity of the church The universality of the church The holiness of the church The sacraments What is a sacrament? Baptism Eucharist Christianity and other faiths The 'common sense' approach to other religions The pluralist approach The particularist approach The inclusivist approach The last things: heaven 7. A brief history of Christianity The early church Christianity and Judaism Christianity and women The Expansion of the Gospel: Paul The Expansion of the Gospel: Rome The Consolidation of Christianity Theological debates of the early Christian period The Origins of Monasticism The Rise of Celtic Christianity The Middle Ages Instability: the church in a period of uncertainty Christianity in the East to the fall of Constantinople The renewal of western Christianity The rise of Scholasticism The rise of the Religious Orders The rebirth of western culture: the Renaissance Western Christianity in the Late Middle Ages The growth in adult literary A surge in anti-clericalism The rise in doctrinal pluralism The Reformation The Lutheran Reformation The Calvinist Reformation The Radical Reformation (Anabaptism) The Catholic Reformation The Rise of Protestantism The Reformation in England The leading features of Protestantism The Confessionalization of faith: Protestant Orthodoxy English-language Protestantism: Puritanism A Protestant religion of the heart: Pietism The Great Awakening: American Protestantism The resurgence of Roman Catholicism The Council of Trent The Society of Jesus The renewal of Catholic spirituality The war
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue