- Gambling -- Great Britain -- History
- Gambling -- Government policy -- Great Britain -- History.
- Working class -- Government policy -- Great Britain -- History.
- Working class -- Recreation -- Great Britain -- History.
- Gambling -- Law and legislation -- Great Britain -- History.
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -319) and index.
- Tables; Foreword by Professor Jeff Hill; Preface; Acknowledgements; Abbreviations; Brief Timeline; Introduction: An Overview of the Working-Class Culture of Gambling and Gaming; Religion and the Middle-Class Attack upon Working-Class Gambling: The National Anti-Gambling League, the Churches and the Anti-Gambling Campaigns, 1890s-1950s; Street Bookmakers 1906-1960s and the Changes after 1961; Posting the Pools and Going to the Dogs; From Prohibition to Acceptance and Recognition: Gaming, Lotteries, Draws, Whist and Premium Bonds: The 1934 Act and Subsequent Legislation c. 1930s-1950s; The Labor Party, Lotteries, Gaming and Bingo 1930s-1960; Conclusion; Bibliography; Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue