- Abused women -- Counseling of.
- Abused women -- Rehabilitation.
- Abused women -- Services for
- 1843104318 (pbk.) :
- 9781843104315 (pbk.) :
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 148-152) and index.
- Contents: Foreword. Introduction. About the project. About the book. Notes. 1. Why Doesn't She Just Leave? The effects of domestic violence. A framework for understanding. Post traumatic stress disorder. Loss and grief. Loss, trauma and recovery. Summary. Notes. 2. Starting the Journey. Taking the decision. Filling the information gap. Making the break. Arriving at the refuge. Assessing support needs. First steps. Safety. Reactions. Summary. Notes. 3. Exploring the Route. Loss. Anger. Oscillating emotions. Safety, trust and empowerment. Changing needs. Advocacy. Mutual support. Summary. Notes. 4. Someone to Talk to, Someone to Listen. Mutual support. Worker support. Someone to listen. Counselling. Therapeutic group work. Life skills and activities. Being a family. Summary. Notes. 5. Living Together. Daily life. Conflict. Participation. Other experiences of refuge life. How it could be. Summary. Notes. 6. Moving Out, moving On. Problems of rehousing. Fears and hopes. Support after rehousing. Keeping in touch. Beginning a new life. Realignment. Summary. Notes. 7. The Best Things Were... Safety. Respect. A non-judgmental attitude, being believed. Mutual support from other residents. Time to talk and be heard. Attitude and approach of the workers. Rebuilding the capacity to cope. Summary. Notes 8. Putting the Pieces (back) Together. Loss, transition and recovery. The extra burden. How these concepts affect support giving. A way of understanding. One size will never fit all. Wider implications. Conclusions. Summary. Notes. Postscript. Appendix 1: Women's Aid Federation of England. Appendix 2: The Research Project. Appendix 3: Precis of Topic Guide for Interviews with Past and Present Service Users. Appendix 4: Resource Materials. References. Subject index. Author index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue