- Grimley, Daniel M.
- Rushton, Julian.
- Elgar, Edward, 1857-1934 -- Criticism and interpretation.
- Cambridge University Press,
- Cambridge companions to music
- 0521826233 (hb)
- 0521533635 (pb)
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 243-244) and index.
- Notes on contributors; Acknowledgements; Bibliographical abbreviations; Chronology; List of volumes in the Elgar Complete Edition (Elgar Society Edition); 1. Introduction Daniel M. Grimley and Julian Rushton; 2. Elgar and his British contemporaries Jeremy Dibble; 3. Elgar and his publishers Robert Anderson; 4. Magic by mosaic: some aspects of Elgar's compositional methods Christopher Kent; 5. Elgar's musical language: the shorter instrumental works Diana McVeagh; 6. The early choral works Robin Holloway; 7. Elgar's later oratorios: Roman Catholicism, decadence and the Wagnerian dialectic of shame and grace Byron Adams; 8. Roman Catholicism and being musically English: Elgar's church and organ music John Butt; 9. 'A smiling with a sigh': the chamber music and works for strings Daniel M. Grimley; 10. In search of the symphony: orchestral music to 1908 Julian Rushton; 11. Orchestral music from 1908-1934 Christopher Mark; 12. Elgar's unwumbling: the theatre music J.P.E. Harper-Scott; 13. Elgar and recording Timothy Day; 14. Elgar and the BBC Jenny Doctor; 15. Elgar's German critics Aidan Thomson; 16. Functional music: imperialism, the Great War, and Elgar as popular composer Charles Edward McGuire; Notes; Select bibliograpy; Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue