- English literature -- 19th century -- History and criticism.
- Christianity and literature -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Spirituality -- Great Britain -- History -- 19th century.
- Religion and literature -- History -- 19th century.
- Men -- Great Britain -- Religious life.
- Spirituality in literature.
- Masculinity in literature
- Men in literature
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Acknowledgements - Notes on the Contributors - Preface; J.Tosh - Introduction; A.Bradstock, S.Gill, A.Hogan & S.Morgan - Soldiers and Saints: the Fighting Man and the Christian Life; J.R.Watson - The (Re)Gendering of High Anglicanism; L.M.Miller - Victorian Masculinity and the Virgin Mary; C.M.Engelhardt - 'Reading Men More Truly': Charlotte Bront?'s Villette; A.Hogan - Angry Young Men: Anger and Masculinity in the Novels of Charlotte M. Tonge; C.Wells-Cole - Aelred of Rievaulx, Same-Sex Desire and the Victorian Monastery; F.S.Roden - Man Apart: Priesthood and Homosexuality at the End of the Nineteenth Century; P.Healy - 'A Double-minded Man is Unstable in all his ways': Religion, Doubt, Male Homosexuality and John Addington Symonds on Arthur Hugh Clough; H.J.Booth - The Mightiest Evangel of the Alpine Club: Masculinity and Agnosticism in the Alpine Writing of John Tyndall; F.O'Gorman - George Eliot, Masculinity, and the (Ir)Religion of Nationalism; M.McCaw - Ecce Homo: The Depiction of Christ as the Model of Masculinity in Victorian Art and Lives of Jesus; S.Gill - 'Writing the Male Body': Sexual Purity and Masculinity in The Vanguard, 1884-1894; S.Morgan - William Booth: Saint or Charlatan?: L.Lauer - 'A Man of God is a Manly Man': Spurgeon, Luther and 'Holy Boldness'; A.Bradstock - Index.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue