- Turner, John, 1949 May 18-
- Macmillan, Harold, 1894-1986
- Prime ministers -- Great Britain -- Biography.
- Great Britain -- Politics and government -- 1945-1964
- 0582218802 (cased)
- 0582553865 (pbk.) :
people who borrowed this, also borrowed:
- Introduction: Supermac 1894-1986; Macmillan in profile. Part 1: the last Edwardian. Part 2: launching a career, 1922-1940; ambition; confusion and despair; return and confusion; the middle way; in the wilderness. Part 3: the Second World War, 1938-1945; appeasement; war; Part 4: the greasy pole, 1945-1955; opposition; Europe; opportunity; defence; to the front rank. Part 5: the opportunity, 1955-1956; a great European; Cyprus; Egypt, 1955; the treasury; Suez; the reckoning. Part 6: the world's a stage I - from Suez to the Paris Summit; not quite a superpower; Part 7: the world's a stage II - from the Paris Summit to the Test-ban Treaty; the nuclear threat; Cuba; Skybolt and the Test-ban Treaty. Part 8: imperial retreat; winding down the Empire; the Congo and the limits of power; imperial overstretch in Africa?; the end of informal empire; still at the top table?. Part 9: towards Europe. Part 10: "is it too good to last?" - policy and politics at home, 1957-1963; managing the economy - the first phase; managing the economy - the second phase; managing the economy - the last phase; managing the party; Lloyd, Profu encircling gloom; dusk. Part 11: Macmillan in perspective.
University of Huddersfield Library Catalogue