Now term is well underway the new students should have found their feet and the returning students should be working hard.
This IT Tips blog is new this year. Please let me know what you think about it so far and what you would like to see up here in the future. I will carry on posting news updates (when there is any) but do you want me to continue putting up tips on how to use Word? Or would you rather see something else here instead? If so, what???
Also, please feel free to comment on any of my blogs. It will be nice to know people are reading what I write!
You can make your documents more visually appealing by inserting pictures.
To insert a picture:
- Click on the Insert tab at the top of the window
- In the Illustrations section, click on Picture
- Navigate to where your picture is stored e.g. USB stick
- Double click on the picture icon OR single click and then click insert
You can then resize your picture:
- Hold your cursor over the corner of the image until the double headed arrow appears.
- When you can see the double headed arrow, click and hold the left button on our mouse while you move the mouse around your screen until the image is the size that you require.
If you want your writing to surround your picture:
- Right click on the image
- Click on Text Wrapping
- Keep changing your selection (e.g. Tight, Square) until the text surrounds your picture in the way you want it.
If you’re at a loose end this weekend you could always pop into the Library for a spot of studying. We’re open 10:00-15:00.
We’re also open Saturday 27 November 10:00-15:00.
Following a recent upgrade changes have been made to the way the repository displays visual and audio content. See a couple of examples below:-
Student nominated Extra Mile Awards are back!
Students are invited to nominate a member of staff who has made a significant difference to their experience of university life. Nominations close Friday January 21 2011.
Nominate online at http://survey.bris.ac.uk/hud/extramile
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org or ring 01484 471576
For the latest news from the University’s International Student e-newsletter click on the link here.
A few people have been asking how you can make one page landscape when the rest of the pages are portrait. It is not too hard, so here goes …
- Click on the Page Layout tab at the top of the window
- Click on the downwards pointing arrow next to Breaks in the Page Setup section
- Click on Next Page which is located in the Section Breaks area. Your cursor will now move to the top of the next page.
- Whilst still in the Page Setup area of Page Layout tab, click on the downwards arrow below Orientation.
- Click on Landscape and you will see the orientation of your page change on the screen.
- Insert your image/graph/text on the new Landscape section.
If you want to revert back to Portrait orientation, follow the steps above but select the Portrait option instead of Landscape.
A video clip demonstrating this can be found on YouTube.
Lock in your security details now. You can protect your computing account by setting up personalised security so that you can change your password and unlock your account without coming to or calling the Helpdesk.
Go to http://password.hud.ac.uk
You will need to answer some security questions, but this only needs to be done once. When you have completed these questions you will be able to change your password as many times as you like, whenever you like. You will also be able to unlock your account if you have made a mistake with your password.