- Before novels : the cultural contexts of eighteenth-century English fiction. (1990) / Hunter, J. Paul
- The rise of the novel : studies in Defoe, Richardson and Fielding. (1957) / Watt, Ian
- Romantics, rebels and reactionaries : English literature and its background 1760-1830 (1981) / Butler, Marilyn
- Romanticism (1996) / Day, Aidan
- Jean Rhys (1996) / Carr, Helen
- The mirror and the lamp : romantic theory and the critical tradition (1971) / Abrams, M. H.
- English fiction of the Romantic period 1789-1830 (1989) / Kelly, Gary
- Family fortunes : men and women of the English middle class, 1780-1850 (1992) / Davidoff, Leonore
- The female malady : women, madness and English culture 1830-1980 (1987) / Showalter, Elaine
- The Victorian social-problem novel : the market, the individual and communal life (1996) / Guy, Josephine M.
- Church and society in late medieval England (1993) / Swanson, R. N.
- Modernism/postmodernism (1992) / Brooker, Peter