- The mirror and the lamp : romantic theory and the critical tradition (1971) / Abrams, M. H.
- The social novel in England, 1830-1850 : Dickens, Disraeli, Mrs Gaskell, Kingsley (1973) / Cazamian, Louis
- English fiction of the Romantic period 1789-1830 (1989) / Kelly, Gary
- Romantics, rebels and reactionaries : English literature and its background 1760-1830 (1981) / Butler, Marilyn
- English poetry of the Romantic period, 1789-1830 (2nd ed, 1992) / Watson, J. R.
- The Victorian social-problem novel : the market, the individual and communal life (1996) / Guy, Josephine M.
- Walking the Victorian streets : women, representation, and the city (1995) / Nord, Deborah Epstein
- Jean Rhys : Wide Sargasso Sea (2001) / Plasa, Carl
- English fiction of the Victorian period, 1830-1890 (2nd ed, 1994) / Wheeler, Michael
- The madwoman in the attic : the woman writer and the nineteenth-century literary imagination (2nd ed, 2000) / Gilbert, Sandra M.
- The language of humour (1985) / Nash, Walter
- Modernism/postmodernism (1992) / Brooker, Peter
- Language and power (1989) / Fairclough, Norman