- Zora Neale Hurston's their eyes were watching God : a casebook (2000) / Wall, Cheryl A.
- Conjuring : black women, fiction, and literary tradition (1985) / Pryse, Marjorie
- Afro-American literature in the twentieth century : the achievement of intimacy (1984) / Cooke, Michael G.
- Black American women's writing : a quilt of many colours (1994) / Birch, Eva Lennox
- Black women, writing, and identity : migrations of the subject (1994) / Davies, Carole Boyce
- Contemporary American women writers : gender, class, ethnicity (1998) / Zamora, Lois Parkinson
- Born for liberty : a history of women in America (1989) / Evans, Sara M.
- Black women's writing (1993) / Wisker, Gina
- Women in the United States, 1830-1945. (1999) / Kleinberg, S. Jay
- English society in the later Middle Ages : class, status and gender. (1995) / Rigby, S. H.
- Modernism/postmodernism (1992) / Brooker, Peter